Expert panel published recently the first ever guide to Lupus Nephritis treatment. The medical news community and lay press has mentioned it at numerous occasions already
Some summary points after looking at it
1. Definition of Lupus Nephritis included the usual persistent proteinuria, active sediment but noted that if a kidney biopsy showed immune complex mediated GN compatible with lupus nephritis would also qualify for the diagnosis. Finally, an opinion of the nephrologist or rheumatologist was good as well.
2. The panel recommended that all with active lupus nephritis, previously untreated undergo a renal biopsy but evidence for this was LEVEL C.
3. Treatment of disease be based on the class of lupus identified on biopsy.
4. Class I and II- conservative management and no active treatment ( Level C evidence)
5. Class III, IV and V- require treatment
6. Class III and IV- MMF induction or IV CYC along with steroids ( Level A evidence based on ALMS trial)
7. Myfortic was mentioned by the expert panel as equivalent to MMF in inducing lupus nephritis
8. Euro Lupus ( 500mg of IV CYC every 2 weeks) for total of 6 doses be used for Caucasians and patients of European origin and the NIH protocol( 500-1000mg/m2 IV once a month for 6 doses) be used for the rest.
9. Pulse IV steroids for 3 doses and then 0.5mg-1mg/kg daily dosing is needed( level C evidence)
10. Induction for Class IV/V with crescents included steroids but no recommendations made strongly regarding use of IV CYC or MMF for this group. Both are mentioned.
11. Pure Class V:- MMF with steroids ( PO only) ( level A evidence)
12. AZA or MMF can be used for maintenance therapy ( level A evidence)
Some of the other things the task force discusses is changing regimen when initial treatment fails, pregnancy related to SLE treatment options and monitoring of lupus nephritis.
Take a look at the original article
Take a look at a critical review by the Kidney Doctor Blog.
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- KDIGO Glomerular Disease Guidelines: ANCA vasculitis
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular Diseases: LUPUS NE...
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular Diseases: HSP
- Healthcare in India exposed!
- KDIGO Glomerular Diseases Guidelines: IgA Nephropathy
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular diseases: Infectio...
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular Diseases: MPGN
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular Diseases: Membrano...
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular Diseases: FSGS in ...
- KDIGO Guidelines for Glomerular Diseases 2012: Min...
- Clinical Case 56: Answers and Summary
- CJASN Journal Club
- IN THE NEWS: OBESITY and ORGAN POOL DONATION
- Geriatric Workforce Shortage: What can we learn?
- IN the NEWS: Intensive treatment during end of lif...
- eAJKD: Live NKF coverage
- IN THE NEWS:ACR Lupus Nephritis Guidelines
- New Updates from Nephro-Pathology.com
- Topic Discussion: Hyperkalemia in Bartter Syndrome
- IN THE NEWS: Treating Cast Nephropathy without tre...
- ▼ May (20)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)