Monday, September 5, 2011
TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemolysis and Renal dysfunction
The differential diagnosis is usually:- HUS, atypical HUS, TTP( all variants), hemolytic anemia causes such as paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, autoimmune hemolytic anemia and infectious anemia in malaria or babesiosis.
It is important to think of above causes as hemolysis has been identified. A recent Kidney International case presents Babesiosis as a cause of acute renal dysfunction.
Things to look out for: Elevated indirect bilirubin, LDH elevated, downtrending haptoglobin, peripheral smear showing schistocytes and an elevated reticulocyte count.
Check it out:
image source: Wikipedia.com
- ► 2022 (14)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Proteinuria: From a Medical Student's view
- The American Society of Transplantation Blog
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIROLIMUS , not all that benign
- In the NEWS: A novel treatment for Pre eclampsia- ...
- Consult rounds: Secondary causes RULE
- IN THE NEWS:- Renal Cell Cancer Research Update 2011
- A casual reminder; Abraham Verghese: A doctor's to...
- IN the NEWS: HB -EGF and RPGN
- Hypercalcemia in Pregnancy
- Topic Discussion: Diabetic Nephropathy Post Kidney...
- Topic Discussion: A Fresh Look at The Banff Classi...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cirrhosis, Hyponatremia and the ...
- CLINICAL CASE 43: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Journal Club: SuPAR and FSGS
- Topic Discussion: Cathepsins and the Kidney
- Consult Rounds: Membranous Post Kidney Transplanta...
- IN THE NEWS:- Myeloproliferative neoplasms and glo...
- Consult Rounds: Hyperphosphatemia
- In The News:- HIV Nephropathy and other adverse ri...
- Topic Discussions: Genome-wide association studies...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Atypical HUS
- Topic Discussion: Recent Advances in Acute Kidney ...
- Nephrology Fellows Boot Camp
- IN the NEWS:- TIM-1 + B cells? and B cell tolerance!
- Happy Teacher's Day to all
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemolysis and Renal dysfunction
- The Kidney Doctor: IMAGE OF THE MONTH
- CLINICAL CASE 42 : ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2010 (461)