Soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 (sFlt-1), an alternatively spliced variant of the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 1, induces a preeclampsia-like phenotype in experimental models and circulates at elevated levels in human preeclampsia. This is the factor that leads to decreased VEGF in pre eclampsia and causes the kidney related findings. Mice studies have shown that giving VEGF can alleviate the findings; but giving VEGF might pose significant risk to the fetus. Investigators at Harvard have shown for the first time that sFLT-1 can be removed via apheresis. Dextran sulfate apheresis lowered the levels of sFlt1 and reduced proteinuria, blood pressure and allowed for fetal growth in their observational paper. This pilot study is published in the August Circulation Issue and further testing is needed in a randomized fashion with more subjects to prove this will work.
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
In the NEWS: A novel treatment for Pre eclampsia- A renal method
Posted by Kenar D Jhaveri( kidney 007) at 7:44 AM
Labels: General Nephrology, In The News, pre eclampsia, pregnancy, sfLT-1, VEGF
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2022 (18)
- ► 2021 (36)
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Proteinuria: From a Medical Student's view
- The American Society of Transplantation Blog
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIROLIMUS , not all that benign
- In the NEWS: A novel treatment for Pre eclampsia- ...
- Consult rounds: Secondary causes RULE
- IN THE NEWS:- Renal Cell Cancer Research Update 2011
- A casual reminder; Abraham Verghese: A doctor's to...
- IN the NEWS: HB -EGF and RPGN
- Hypercalcemia in Pregnancy
- Topic Discussion: Diabetic Nephropathy Post Kidney...
- Topic Discussion: A Fresh Look at The Banff Classi...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cirrhosis, Hyponatremia and the ...
- CLINICAL CASE 43: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Journal Club: SuPAR and FSGS
- Topic Discussion: Cathepsins and the Kidney
- Consult Rounds: Membranous Post Kidney Transplanta...
- IN THE NEWS:- Myeloproliferative neoplasms and glo...
- Consult Rounds: Hyperphosphatemia
- In The News:- HIV Nephropathy and other adverse ri...
- Topic Discussions: Genome-wide association studies...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Atypical HUS
- Topic Discussion: Recent Advances in Acute Kidney ...
- Nephrology Fellows Boot Camp
- IN the NEWS:- TIM-1 + B cells? and B cell tolerance!
- Happy Teacher's Day to all
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemolysis and Renal dysfunction
- The Kidney Doctor: IMAGE OF THE MONTH
- CLINICAL CASE 42 : ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2010 (461)
Post a Comment