Recurrence of Primary Glomerular Disease is the 3rd most common cause of graft failure.
Membranous GN has a Recurrence post transplant rate of : 30-40% , Usually diagnosed between 2nd-3rd year post transplant. The graft survival is not different than that of patients with other renal diseases. One major study in NDT in 2010 is the only one that really looked at post transplant membranous GN and what happens to those patients. They had 12 patients with recurrence of Membranous. In th 118 month follow up, patient survival was 96% and graft survival was around 40% when compared to controls. Recurrence led to graft loss in 6 patients, all were DDRTx and in 55 months. Recurrence was more common in females. The ones with higher proteinuria did worse. This showed that they did similar patterns as regular Membranous GN.
Another study done recently in 2010 showed that recurrence might be lower compared to previously thought due to being on strong anti rejection agents. The incidence of recurrent iMN was 44%, and recurrences occurred at a median time of 13.6 months after transplantation. Two patterns of recurrence were identified: Early and late. No predictors of recurrence or disease progression could be identified. Anti CD20 agents might be useful in treating this post recurrence.
So really, no good overall data out there. Here are a list of references.
Post by Hitesh Patni, MD
Dr Patni is a renal fellow at the Hofstra NSLIJ School of Medicine
- ► 2020 (20)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Proteinuria: From a Medical Student's view
- The American Society of Transplantation Blog
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIROLIMUS , not all that benign
- In the NEWS: A novel treatment for Pre eclampsia- ...
- Consult rounds: Secondary causes RULE
- IN THE NEWS:- Renal Cell Cancer Research Update 2011
- A casual reminder; Abraham Verghese: A doctor's to...
- IN the NEWS: HB -EGF and RPGN
- Hypercalcemia in Pregnancy
- Topic Discussion: Diabetic Nephropathy Post Kidney...
- Topic Discussion: A Fresh Look at The Banff Classi...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cirrhosis, Hyponatremia and the ...
- CLINICAL CASE 43: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Journal Club: SuPAR and FSGS
- Topic Discussion: Cathepsins and the Kidney
- Consult Rounds: Membranous Post Kidney Transplanta...
- IN THE NEWS:- Myeloproliferative neoplasms and glo...
- Consult Rounds: Hyperphosphatemia
- In The News:- HIV Nephropathy and other adverse ri...
- Topic Discussions: Genome-wide association studies...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Atypical HUS
- Topic Discussion: Recent Advances in Acute Kidney ...
- Nephrology Fellows Boot Camp
- IN the NEWS:- TIM-1 + B cells? and B cell tolerance!
- Happy Teacher's Day to all
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemolysis and Renal dysfunction
- The Kidney Doctor: IMAGE OF THE MONTH
- CLINICAL CASE 42 : ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2010 (461)