Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Consult Rounds: Hyperphosphatemia
There are three general circumstances in which this occurs: massive acute phosphate load; chronic renal failure; and a primary increase in proximal phosphate reabsorption. The fourth is pseudohyperphosphatemia.
1. CAUSES OF Phosphate Load to consider:
Tumor lysis syndrome
Phosphate Enemas or laxatives
Vitamin D Toxicity
2. RENAL FAILURE is self explanatory
3. Increased Tubular Reabsorption of Phosphate:
4. Pseudohyperphosphatemia from elevated bilirubin, paraproteins, lipids and hemolysis
Hope this simplifies the differential of hyperphosphatemia
- ► 2018 (27)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Proteinuria: From a Medical Student's view
- The American Society of Transplantation Blog
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: SIROLIMUS , not all that benign
- In the NEWS: A novel treatment for Pre eclampsia- ...
- Consult rounds: Secondary causes RULE
- IN THE NEWS:- Renal Cell Cancer Research Update 20...
- A casual reminder; Abraham Verghese: A doctor's to...
- IN the NEWS: HB -EGF and RPGN
- Hypercalcemia in Pregnancy
- Topic Discussion: Diabetic Nephropathy Post Kidney...
- Topic Discussion: A Fresh Look at The Banff Classi...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Cirrhosis, Hyponatremia and the ...
- CLINICAL CASE 43: ANSWERS and SUMMARY
- Journal Club: SuPAR and FSGS
- Topic Discussion: Cathepsins and the Kidney
- Consult Rounds: Membranous Post Kidney Transplanta...
- IN THE NEWS:- Myeloproliferative neoplasms and glo...
- Consult Rounds: Hyperphosphatemia
- In The News:- HIV Nephropathy and other adverse ri...
- Topic Discussions: Genome-wide association studies...
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Atypical HUS
- Topic Discussion: Recent Advances in Acute Kidney ...
- Nephrology Fellows Boot Camp
- IN the NEWS:- TIM-1 + B cells? and B cell toleranc...
- Happy Teacher's Day to all
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Hemolysis and Renal dysfunction
- The Kidney Doctor: IMAGE OF THE MONTH
- CLINICAL CASE 42 : ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2010 (461)