Long term renal toxicities from chemotherapy in cancer survivors is likely to exist. A recent study in CJASN 2013 looked at this very question. Over 700 childhood cancer survivors were reviewed and function was assessed regarding kidney function loss. Risks were then identified.
What factors were major predictors of loss of GFR later in life after experiencing treatment for childhood cancers?
1. Nephrectomy ( nephron mass related)
2. Abdominal radiation ( radiation nephropathy complications)
3. High dose ifosfamide exposure ( proximal tubular toxin)
4. High dose cisplatin exposure ( known tubular toxin)
The full study can be found here
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- Topic Discussion: Genetic Diabetes Insipidus
- Pathology and Nephrology: A combined force!
- Adult cancer survivors and risk of kidney disease?...
- In the NEWS: Acute tubular damage from synthetic c...
- Hibernating bears and Nephrology
- Detective Nephron's next venture
- Pitfalls of urinary protein/crt ratio
- PitFalls in GFR: Pregnancy
- Concept Map: Hypophosphatemia
- ▼ February (9)
- ► 2012 (201)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)