1878: Bert and Jourdanet described symptoms of anemia and mountain sickness from hypoxia
1906: Carnot and Deflandre observed that serum from an anemic donor rabbit injected in normal rabbits resulted in increased erythropoiesis. It was initially called hematopoietin: potential circulating factor
1953: Erslev demonstrated that plasma from anemic rabbits contained a factor capable of stimulating erythropoiesis and predicted its potential as a treatment modality. Did a quantitative infusion study regarding this notion as well.
1957: Jacobson and other such as Goldwasser found that the kidney was the source of this hormone that controlled the production via experiments with each organ being removed in animals.
1985: Few milligrams of erythropoietin from over 2.5L of urine of patients with aplastic anemia was collected and purified by Miyake et al
1985: The human erythropoietin gene was cloned
1985: Eshbach et al had the the first treatment of someone with initially just 2.5 units/kg on dialysis followed by no response and then increased dose of 15 units/kg with good response leading to potential treatment success.
1985: Mass effort to large scale production
1989: FDA approves recombinant EPO for use in chronic renal failure patients on dialysis
1990: FDA approves recombinant EPO for use in chronic renal failure without dialysis and other non renal causes.
A good references that summarize as above is
- ► 2018 (48)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- Nephrology Crosswords: Dyskalemias
- In the News: Telomeres and HIVAN
- History of Erythropoietin development
- ASN 2012
- Bundling and the DOPPS data
- IN THE NEWS: Stem cells and transplantation
- MPGN revisited
- iSediment Feature
- IN THE NEWS: Hypertension and Kelch like 3 and cul...
- Acetaminophen and hypertension?
- CLINICAL CASE 53: Answers and Summary
- Topic Discussion: IgM Nephropathy
- Detective Nephron strikes again
- Topic Discussion: Renin production
- eAJKD: Nephrology revival
- World Kidney Day 2012
- ASN new podcast for Kidney day 2012
- IN THE NEWS: FSP-1
- Kidney Education- in many Indian Languages( gift f...
- Hypernatremia and Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- ASN POLICY PRIORITIES 2012
- ▼ March (21)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)