Not many studies have looked at causes of low urea nitrogen production. Besides malnutrition, there are certain other conditions that might be very likely to have noted low BUN levels. A study done in 1989 looked at causes of BUN less than 50mg/dl. ( in their lab 50-200mg/dl) was normal.
The causes were:
Intravenous fluids intake
Use of steroids
If we analyze what they found: Alcohol abuse is usually associated with low solute intake and mal nutrition and hence again leading to that as the cause. IVF and special diets can be understood. The endocrine disorders they found were SIADH, hyper and hypothyroidism due to water excess leading to low BUN. The steroids use ( usually thought to be cause increased BUN), was thought to decrease BUN due to water retention per the authors.
Interesting old study to have a look
- ► 2017 (42)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- Concept Map: Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis(FS...
- 2009: The first few Nephronpower posts
- Novartis announces termination of ALTITUDE study
- eAJKD: Take ESRD family history Poll
- eAJKD: IgA Nephropathy Word Search
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: What about BUN - and when its to...
- Renal Fellow Network: Top nephrology-related stori...
- Journal Club: FGF-23 and LVH
- eAJKD: Test your knowledge on Glomerular Diseases ...
- eAJKD: Peritoneal Dialysis Strikes Back
- TRANSPLANT ROUNDS: Test your knowledge of inducti...
- CONSULT ROUNDS: AA vs AL Amyloidosis
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Calciphylaxis Treatment Options
- eAJKD: Home Hemodialysis
- eAJKD: IgA Nephropathy and Vitamin D therapy
- CLINICAL CASE 48: Answers and Summary
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: Lithium and timing of dialysis?
- IN THE NEWS: Transplantation and hypotension
- TOPIC DISCUSSION: FUROSEMIDE in HYPERCALCEMIA
- eAJKD: PTLD quiz!
- Azathioprine vs MMF: Transplantation for the socie...
- eAJKD: family history of ESRD- what does that mean...
- The Call of Renin!
- QUIZ:What causes Green urine? Answers
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Renal Infarcts
- ▼ December (25)
- ► 2010 (461)