A recent paper in Transplantation ( multi institutional) looked at this exact question. How safe and well do patients when they get a re transplantation of the kidney after failed prior transplant from BK Nephropathy.
This retrospective study evaluated 31 patients from 6 centers. 26/31 had documented clearance of viremia and 13 underwent transplant nephrectomy before the new transplant. Only 2 patients in the new transplants got BK nephropathy. 7/31 had acute rejection. The patients who had BK viremia and replications had higher 1 year creatinine. One graft was lost due to rejection. But overall, majority did well. Based on this small trial, the authors conclude that re transplantation is safe and effective for patients with prior graft loss due to BK Nephropathy but preferably post BK viral clearance.
Take a look at the full article at:
- ► 2020 (32)
- ► 2019 (42)
- ► 2018 (57)
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (45)
- ► 2015 (63)
- ► 2014 (95)
- ► 2013 (133)
- ► 2012 (201)
- In the News: Initial access type in dialysis patie...
- In the News: ESA dose responsiveness? Some thoughts
- Topic Discussion: H1N1 vaccine in Transplantation
- ASN Abstracts 2011 online
- Topic Discussion: Re transplantation after BK Neph...
- CLINICAL CASE 45: Answers and Summary
- ANIO event at ASN 2011
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Expressive Aphasia in ESRD
- Topic Discussion: TIM molecules and Kidney Transpl...
- HHV-8 in Transplantation
- Patient Perspective: Give us the Choice by Kamal Shah
- Hypokalemia quiz answer
- New York Academy of Medicine Nephrology Lecture:- ...
- ASN Podcast :Kidney Research National Dialogue Pod...
- Podocyte Disorders
- Hemodialysis Patients and and their Risky Weekends...
- Congress of Nephrology in Internet 2011
- Gray's Anatomy Classic Collectors Edition : The Ki...
- IN THE News: A report about inducing tolerance in ...
- "Hyponatremia" not that benign
- CONSULT ROUNDS: Hypokalemia and Osmotic Demyelinat...
- In the News:- TOLL like receptors and Nobel Prize ...
- NSLIJ Transplant Surgeon on ABC
- CLINICAL CASE 44: ANSWERS AND SUMMARY
- ▼ October (24)
- ► 2010 (461)