What are the mechanisms of anemia in CKD?
A recent article in JASN Oct 2012 issue discusses this as a science in renal medicine.
Figure 1 in the article is worth exploring as it summarizes the literature on this topic.
1. Decreased EPO production
2. Uremic inhibitors to action of produced EPO
3. Shortened RBC survival in the uremic state
4. Blood loss during dialysis
5. Decreased iron absorption due to uremic state
6. Other losses of iron via dialysis, chronic bleeding, dysfunctional platelets, blood trapping
7. Impaired iron release from stores
8. Hepcidin excess impairs iron absorption
- ► 2013 (133)
- Student mentorship : early on with KDSAP
- In the News: Is Normal Saline good enough?
- Nodular glomerulosclerosis
- Interesting fact: Turtle urine
- Quiz to determine elderly death risk on dialysis
- Concept Map: Hypophosphatemia
- In The News: Basic research in nephrology?
- Topic Discussion: Anemia mechanisms
- Topic Discussion: Glomerular disease in Myeloma
- Topic Discussion: Myeloma and the kidney- why?
- ▼ October (10)
- ► 2011 (370)
- ► 2010 (461)